This access statement does not contain personal opinions as to our suitability for those with access needs, but aims to accurately describe the facilities and services that we offer all our guests/visitors.
Access Statement for Moor End Guest House
Moor End Guest House is located on the outskirts of Durham City in the village of Belmont and offers five en suite guest rooms, three located on the first floor being a triple, a twin and a double room and two rooms on the second floor being a double and our family room which has a double, a single and a pull out single bed as well as being able to accommodate a travel cot.
The house was built circa 1840 and whilst we would aim to meet the needs of all our guests there are some features of the house which might make access difficult for people with limited mobility.
Moor End Guest House is located approximately 2 miles from the centre of Durham City (the Market Place) and 1 mile by road from the A1(M) Junction 62 making the attractions of Durham City and the surrounding area within easy reach.
We look forward to welcoming you. If you have any queries or require any assistance please phone 0191 384 2796 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* We are located within the village of Belmont at 8 Moor End Terrace, next door to The Belmont public house.
* For full details and maps on how to reach us please see the Location section of our website: www.moorendguesthouse.com. Alternatively you can plan your journey by car or public transport using www.transportdirect.info. Simply enter your postcode and ours, DH1 1BJ to get directions/options.
* The nearest shops are approximately 0.1 mile or 3 mins walk away.
* The nearest bus stop coming from Durham (route Nos 20, 20A and X20 towards Sunderland is just 40m from our property. Just ask for The Belmont formally the Sportsman’s Arms, Belmont stop. There is no shelter or seating at this stop. For buses to Durham there is a shelter and seating. Buses run approximately every 10 minutes during the day, 20 minutes during the evening and every hour between midnight and 05.00hrs on the night service N20.
* Durham railway station is approximately 2 miles away and can be accessed from any of the buses mentioned above. Buses run to and from the bus station, a short downhill walk, signposted from the railway station.
* Taxis are usually available at the railway station or we can book one for you in advance if required.
* Newcastle Airport is 23 miles away, approx 25 minutes by car and Durham Tees Valley Airport is 26 miles away, approx 30 minutes by car.
* We regret we are unable to accommodate guest’s pets.
Car Parking and arrival
* Limited parking and electric vehicle charging point is available at the side of the house. On street parking is available on Fellside Garden just past the house, take first left turning and immediate first left again
* Access to our property is only available to the front from the tarmac pavement on Moor End Terrace. There is a stone flagged path 1150m wide (45 inches) between the railings with two steps of differing heights 60mm (2? inches) and 180mm (7 inches) in height leading to the front door.
* This is well lit by the street light outside our property.
* The front door has a high threshold approximate 60mm (2? inches) high and a clear opening width of 840mm (33 inches). This leads directly into the hall way and the bottom of the stairs. There is a width restriction at the bottom of the stairs of 740mm (29 inches) leading to the reception/breakfast room. The door to this room has a 690mm (27 inches) wide clear opening.
* Guests are welcomed into the reception/breakfast room which is level throughout where they are asked to register.
* Seating is available at any of the breakfast tables.
* The area is well lit by the overhead chandelier and various table lamps.
Public Areas – Hall, Stairs, Landing and Corridor
* All public areas, hall, stairs and landings are well lit using a combination of ceiling lights and table lamps. The ceiling lights are operated by two way wall switches located at the top and bottom of the stairs.
* The hallway is wood flooring with a recessed matwell at the front door.
* There is a straight flight of fifteen 180mm (7 inches) high stepped stairs leading to the first floor guest bedrooms.
* The stairs and landings are fully carpeted.
* The house is fully centrally heated throughout but temperatures can be adjusted in each room to suit individual requirements by altering the thermostatic radiator valves.
* There are automatic audible smoke alarms in all guest bedrooms and on all landings.
* The reception/breakfast room is situated off the hallway on the ground floor and the entrance clear opening width is 690mm (27 inches) and step free/level entry.
* The flooring is wood flooring.
* Large windows allow plenty of natural light supplemented by adjustable overhead chandelier and table lamps.
* There is a feature living flame gas fire to supplement the central heating if required.
* There is seating for up to 14 people at various wooden table and chairs.
* Assistance can be given with luggage.
* Our first floor guest rooms are accessed by means of stairs with fifteen 180mm (7 inches) steps. There is a hand rail on one side.
* Our beds are normally made with duvets but sheets and blankets can be provided if preferred. Our standard pillows are feather and down or polyester filled. Please specify before arrival if special requirements are necessary.
* There is seating, bedside tables, bedside lamps, a wardrobe plus drawers provided in each room.
* All bedrooms have wooden floors with rugs located beside the beds.
* 26” flat screen wall mounted freeview digital televisions are provided in each room.
* All our bedrooms have en suite facilities.
* Bedrooms 1 and 2 have 2 standard single beds 600mm (24 inches) high, with access available from both sides.
* Bedrooms 3 and 4 have a standard double bed 600mm (24 inches) high with access available from both sides.
* Bedroom 5 has a double bed with access from both sides and a single bed with access from one side as standard. A pull out single bed is also available which has access from both sides when in use.
* Bedrooms 4 and 5 are located on the second floor accessed by a ‘winding’ staircase with restricted headroom.
En suite facilities
* All bedrooms have en suite facilities with level access from the bed rooms.
* Facilities include a wc, wash hand basin and shower cubicle with electric showers and removable shower heads. There is a step up into the shower cubicle.
* All en suites have wooden floors with a bath mat provided.
* Smoking is not permitted within the property or in the garden. Facilities for smokers are available next door in The Belmont pub.
* There are ‘In Case of Fire’ instructions posted on the back of the guest room doors.
* There is an information folder in each of the guest rooms with maps giving information on NHS facilities, local restaurants/pubs, travel, theatre, what’s on, etc.
* We also have a selection of menus from nearby restaurants for guest perusal.
* Free broadband and wi-fi facilities are available throughout the property. Room 5 unfortunately can be intermittent though.
* We are happy to cater for special diets or particular likes or dislikes. Please advise us before your arrival.
* A small refrigerator can be available on request for storage of medication, baby foods etc. Please enquire before your arrival.
* Mobile phone reception at Moor End Guest House is generally good.
Moor End Guest House, 8 Moor End Terrace, Belmont, Durham,
Telephone: 0191 384 2796
Hours of operation: Flexible within reason.